Propositions 60 and 90

What are the differences between Propositions 60 and 90?

The difference between Propositions 60 and 90 involves the county your property tax base will be transferred to. Proposition 60 allows a homeowner who is at least 55 years old to transfer their current home’s property tax base to their newly purchased home within the same county. Proposition 90 allows a homeowner to transfer their tax base to a newly purchased home from one county to another county within California. As of September 2013, the following 9 counties allows the intercounty transfers: Alameda, El Dorado, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Ventura. If you are interested in transferring your property tax base to any of these counties, we recommend you contact them to verify eligibility.

Requirements for Propositions 60 and 90

  • The date your property is sold, you or your spouse must be at least 55 years old. You may be 54 years old when you purchase your replacement property but you must be at least 55 years old when you sell your principal residence.
  • The replacement property will be your principal residence and needs to qualify for the homeowners’ exemption or disabled veterans’ exemption.
  • The market value of your replacement property must be equal or less than the market value of your original property. The sales price of your home is not necessarily the market value of the home. The market value of the property will be determined by the assessor.
  • Within two years before OR after the sale of your original property, your new home must be purchased or built.
  • Your original property must have been eligible for the homeowners’ or disabled veterans’ exemption on the day it was sold or within two years of the purchase or construction of the replacement property.
  • The original property will be reappraised to determine fair market value at the time of the sale.
  • This benefit is only allowed once. You or your spouse cannot file again, even after a spouse’s death or a divorce.
  • There is one exception to receive the tax relief a 2nd time. If you become severely and permanently disabled after receiving the tax relief and have to move because of your disability, you may qualify for a 2nd tax base.

Filing for Proposition 60 and 90 tax relief
​After the sale of your original property and the purchase of your replacement property, an application must be filed with the county assessor located in the same county of your replacement property. The claim form, BOE-60-AH, Claim of Person(s) at Least 55 Years of Age for Transfer of Base Year Value to Replacement Dwelling, may be obtained from the assessor’s office. Some counties offer a downloadable form from their website.

San Diego Homes For Sale

Call or Text: